Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Bead Shop

Apparently, when the Myanmar contingent left, they took our bandwidth. What’s the world coming to when you can’t trust a ruthless junta leader? I had the worst time logging on and downloading any pictures or videos. Clearly it was my punishment for kvetching about the jack-booted thugs in the lobby. One thing I wanted to relate was a visit to a bead shop in Wellawatte. My friend Jennifer makes amazing jewelry and home furnishings with beads and is a true artist. I mentioned to Lino that I wanted to bring home some unique glass beads for her and she took me to the coolest bead shop in the world. Full disclosure: Beads do nothing for me. Generally speaking, they have to be turned into something beautiful for me to appreciate them in any way. That said, this place was amazing! The size of a large walk-in closet, it was stacked to the rafters with small 2x4x6 inch clear boxes and bags filled with every kind of bead and sequin one can imagine. There was a path about eight inches wide on the floor due to all the sacks of beads stacked along the edges. I found several types of beads and bought a hundred grams each of four different kinds for the whopping total of about $4.50. The pictures truly don’t do it justice.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend is traveling to Sri Lanka in a week and said he would hunt for unique beads for me. Can you provide an address of sorts of this bead kiosk so that I can give it to him?
My email address is jmauer@nysvms.org