Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Human rights violators need to stick together

I had an interesting experience the other day, apparently the junta leader of Myanmar, general Than Shwe, was here. By “here” I mean at my hotel, attending a reception in his honor. My tuk-tuk driver, Janaka, sort of accidentally dropped me off in the middle of a protest. It took a little bit of doing and no small amount of miming to convince the police officers and military security that I really am a guest at the hotel. Accompanied as I was, by my highly suspicious backpack, it had to go through the portable x-ray machine and I through the metal detectors to even get into the lobby. Once in the lobby, I was set upon by even more intimidating security personnel. I got the hotel types to vouch for me and once I got to the room, didn’t stick my head out until I knew the Myanmar contingent was gone…from the country.
I’ve been having such a good time with the guys, I hate to leave. I brought a lot of books, games and puzzles with me and the boys have really enjoyed them. Special thanks to Anne Hellman, who sent me a ton of prepublication kids books and blads from her sales kits. They were a big hit. I’ll try to post some pictures here.




The card project is in full swing and we’re working like mad to get the cards I need to take home completed.

1 comment:

Anne Hellman said...

Oh, hooray! Hooray! I don't think I've ever seen better pictures of kids reading our books.